GoGuardian, a leading education technology SaaS provider, announced its findings on what creates the most engaging K-12 student learning experiences in its State of Engagement 2019 Report. The findings are part of the inaugural report of the GoGuardian Research and Insights team, composed of psychology, advocacy and education research specialists, to compile data that identifies the factors that influence student engagement. Research has demonstrated that engaging students in the learning process increases their attention and focus, motivates them to practice higher-level critical thinking skills and promotes meaningful learning experiences. Additionally, engaged students typically have lower rates of delinquency, substance use and depression.
In its first qualitative examination, the GoGuardian Research and Insights team worked with hundreds of students, teachers, school leaders and IT Admins in 19 different schools across seven states, to answer the question: What are the factors that contribute to an engaging learning experience?
“Our goal was to understand how, when and where engaging learning is taking place. This is critical to how educators and technology can help advance students in our tech-focused society,” said Mariana Aguilar, lead researcher at GoGuardian. “We’ve found that engagement is a multidimensional concept that can’t be captured by a single indicator or factor; rather, it is a number of variables intersecting all at once. For example, key elements can both enable student engagement and indicate that a highly engaging learning experience is underway. You can’t parse them apart.”
The variables that shape how a student experiences a learning environment can be broken into six categories.
The first three categories are driven by the teachers:
- Classroom management helps students know the protocols for interacting with their teachers in a productive and effective way. This enables students to engage in the learning experience more fully; simultaneously, students who are engaged also require less management.
- Teacher effectiveness is demonstrated by a teacher’s instructional practices. This could include modeling new skills, adjusting to student learning needs and checking for understanding. Related to this: teacher energy, attitude and expectations shape the extent to which students engage in the learning experience.
- Teacher digital literacy levels range drastically and impact how EdTech solutions are implemented in the classroom. A teacher’s ability to use education technology to enable higher levels of thinking shapes the way students learn from digital content.
The fourth key element is focused on a school philosophy that is characterized by acceptance and empathy:
- Nurturing school environments facilitate trust and empathy amongst students and between a student and teacher. This enables students to feel comfortable communicating their needs, making mistakes and asking questions.
The final two categories are student-centric and recognize that high-quality learning experiences honor the individuality of each student:
- A student’s interest and intrinsic motivation to learn influences his or her engagement.
- Personal life and home situation impact how a student participates in the learning experience. These positive or negative factors impact engagement levels.
The State of Engagement 2019 Report will explore the factors that contribute to an engaging learning experience more fully and will highlight the indicators of an engaged student. To learn more about GoGuardian Research and Insights and the State of Engagement 2019 Report, please visit: http://bit.ly/2LaQ44h.
GoGuardian, the fastest-growing education company in the U.S., helps thousands of K-12 schools maximize the learning potential of every student. Its products help educators identify learning patterns, protect students from harmful and distracting content, and support mental health. With GoGuardian, educators can seamlessly manage instruction, connect students with engaging resources, and receive actionable insights into students’ individual learning needs.
Learn more about GoGuardian’s industry-defining analytics, student engagement, and self-harm prevention products at www.goguardian.com.