Thumbplay® Music™ now features offline play for Android smartphones. The announcement was made today by Thumbplay, the leading provider of mobile entertainment in the U.S. Android users can save albums and playlists and play their music offline; providing anytime/anywhere access to the vast Thumbplay Music library, even without a network connection.
Currently, Thumbplay Music is the only cloud-based, subscription music service to feature caching on both the largest and fastest-growing smartphone platforms in the U.S., BlackBerry® and Android™, respectively (coming soon for iPhone). Thumbplay Music is still the only service available on all three major smartphone platforms in the U.S. — iPhone®, Android™ and BlackBerry® — making it the most widely available cloud-based music service in the U.S.*
Said Evan Schwartz, CEO and Co-Founder of Thumbplay: “The beauty of a cloud-based music service is that your personal collection is with you all the time. And now — with the ability to save offline on Thumbplay Music — Android, BlackBerry and soon iPhone users can enjoy the ultimate in portability AND accessibility. Whether you are on a plane, the subway, or on your favorite running path with a spotty Internet connection, your music plays on.”
Thumbplay Music has nearly nine million tracks under license from all major labels and more than 35,000 independent labels. In addition to an in-app media player, Thumbplay Music boasts several compelling features, including:
- Unlimited, on-demand access to any artist or album; choose from millions of songs.
- iTunes® Playlist/Favorite Artist Import within Thumbplay Music’s companion desktop app. With a few clicks, recreate iTunes playlists and have them available on your smartphone and PC/Mac.
- Genie for music discovery: Instantly generate customized recommendations from select songs – it’s a great way to quickly build playlists that you know you’re going to love while discovering new music.
- Favorites and effortless Playlist creation to quickly build your personal collection; auto-syncs between smartphone and PC/Mac.
- Online and offline access: No connection? No problem! Listen to music on the subway or in-flight. Available anytime, anywhere for Android and BlackBerry. (Offline access coming soon for iPhone.)
Key features of Thumbplay Music, continued:
- Music Sharing – Stream songs live on Facebook from PC/Mac: Select “Share” by right-clicking on any of the millions of songs within Thumbplay Music’s desktop app. Share music with specific friends or with everyone in your Facebook network – also coming soon for Twitter™;
- Search: Find music by artist, song, album or genre; includes free previews of all songs
- Free, “no strings attached” three-day trial; subscriptions are then available for $9.99/month.
Thumbplay, which enjoys sustained profitability, has built an award-winning service centered on delivering millions of pieces of mobile content to 95 percent of U.S. devices among every major carrier. Thumbplay is leveraging its existing network of more than 8,000 distribution partners to promote Thumbplay Music. Click on the following link to watch a video demo of the app running on all platforms: http://bit.ly/b27GTY.
* NPD’s wireless market research of smartphone unit sales to consumers: As of the first quarter of 2010, RIM (BlackBerry), Google (Android) and Apple (iPhone) collectively address 85% of smartphone users in the U.S.
Thumbplay, Inc. is the leading mobile entertainment provider in the U.S. Thumbplay Music, the company’s cloud-based, streaming music service for smartphones and PCs/Macs, was launched in January 2010 with more than 8 million songs under license. Thumbplay.com features licensed music, video and games from some of the world’s largest entertainment companies, including: EMI, Sony Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group, as well as several independent labels and artists and video game companies. Headquartered in New York City, Thumbplay was founded in September 2004. Investors include Bain Capital Ventures, SoftBank Capital, i-Hatch Ventures, Redwood Partners, New Enterprise Associates, Meritech, Brookside Capital Partners and Cross Creek Capital. More information can be found at www.thumbplay.com or at m.thumbplay.com from a mobile phone.
For a complete list of iPhone, Android and BlackBerry smartphones supported by Thumbplay: http://www.thumbplay.com/devices.